So if you’ve been following this page for the past month, you’ve probably noticed me mention several times that we’ve had difficulties moving into and setting up the new shop. I wanted to share with the shop community what we have been dealing with over the past month or so.
1. One of our cabinets was not transported to the new location, and the official spearheading the move didn’t respond toour emails for over a month. When he did get back to us, we were told that they couldn’t move one of our two major cabinets. We (the mechanics) had to come up with a solution to transport it to the new location.
2. When we actually got into the new location to unpack, we discovered significant water damage on many of our boxes. Tools, instruction manuals, and many parts were moldy and rusty, leaving them useless. We do not have nuts, bolts, screws, ball bearings, and a whole list of specialized parts. Sadly, we can’t fix bikes without these parts!
3. After unpacking and cleaning what could be salvaged, we discovered that we were missing an entire box of hand tools essential to club operation.
Simply put, we are missing parts and tools essential to the operation of the shop. Unfortunately, we can’t function until these items are replaced. I have been in contact with the university, but they’re slow to respond. Until we are able to replace essential equipment, we will have to remain closed. I understand this is a hardship to folks that depend on us. It’s hard for us too! We all love volunteering, but we simply can’t fix bikes without parts and tools.
We will keep you updated as best we can about the status of the shop, and we are working hard to get things up and running as soon as possible.
Hang in there, and thanks for understanding!